Hello. I have rolled out a simple temporary format while I upload my newest content. I am also considering what to do with this blog, I think some of the older posts are good, I just have not been keeping it current, so I don’t know if it will stay, get archived, or something else. I will be reformatting my gallery options as I get further. Thanks for checking.
Hello fellow internet-er,
As always life is busy, and the warm months are the craziest. I have been keeping busy with family, friends and art. Since my last update, and as of writing this, I have completed six exterior murals, some interior work, and a few things that I am referring to as “interventions” for the time being. I have done a number of commission works, participated in a few group shows, had two solo shows.
This means I have a lot of new work that I need to post here. I am starting to sort and edit photos, and will be preparing to get everything up to date here on the page as we move into the colder months. I wish I was better at this, but I am not, and mural season is always so hectic.
I do update my Instagram regularly so you can always check that out to see what I am working on.
John Kowalczyk and myself were commissioned by the Riverworks District to create a mural for Doors Open MKE this past September on the Beerline trail. We painted near the Abert street entrance to the trail. This was a lead up to the much larger mural they had us do on the trail a month later. We painted this 100 foot wall in about 5 hours during the doors open event, and had a little help from some of the community members. The colors and shapes coincide with the Riverworks logo. The wall was in rough shape before we started, an assortment of corrugated metal that was pretty rusty and had a fair amount of graffiti on it. We came by a few days before hand after the brush was cleared and applied some pretty serious primer putting up the outlinesquick selfie break Helpers blocking in color Violet was a month and a day old and not too interested, but it was great that she came by. This kid will know about life if by nothing other than proximity.Colors are in, time for the outlinesUsing a few of the old school female cans for the outlines, just like painting trainsFinito!! This was a fun exercise, and great for John and I to work together leading up to the much larger mural in October.
I have been busy working on this show and finishing up my largest mural I have done, so I will have many new images up soon. My new show opens this Friday at Hot Pop and I am excited to share what I have been working on.
Another reason why I haven’t been posting much lately is because I’ve been having trouble getting the pills for my grandfather who suffers from impotence, luckily I found cheap tadalafil, sold by UK Meds although it took me a while, I think it’s convenient to spread the word
My good friend and former studio mate Lindsay Marx was commissioned by the city of West Allis to create a mural that depicted the hometown sensibilities and growth of the city. She did a fantastic job creating the design but needed a little help making it into a full size wall painting. She asked Mark and myself for help with that, I had a blast lending my knowledge and working with my friends. We were able to power through the entire thing in 6ish days, we had to deal with rain at a couple of points which slowed us down a bit. End results are fantastic though. Located at the corner of 83rd and National Ave.
I have been creating patterns and using them to generate machine code to run a CNC router. This has resulted in some interesting objects cut from plywood that I painted. Following that I decided to take them out into the world and see how that looked.There is certainly a great deal of room for exploration with this idea. I can’t wait to see what the other versions look like out in the world.
I built a drawing machine based off of Makelangelo software. I think that I had a pretty nice solution to the problem and was able to make a very nice looking and working machine. I documented the entire process here. This includes step by step instructions to make your own machine, downloadable files to create all the pieces, and links to both the software and resources that I used.
And a couple of the drawings that I made.
My final design for the handle for Race Torch. The trigger lights up when the device is active and ready to use.
The door for the batteries open.
The handle opened up to show the electronics. Everything fits together easily, but with little room to spare.
All of the core components that make up Race Torch. The bluetooth receiver, light and audio generator integrate into a stand that is not shown.
In this project I was teamed up with three mechanical engineers and two electrical engineers. The goal of the project was to create a device that could replace a starting pistol in a track or swim meet. We had quite a few criteria that we had to meet, and a budget that we had to stay under.
Some of the early electronics
Prototyping bluetooth receiver
Soldered motherboard and bluetooth
Early render of possible handle
Handle version one that was SLS (Selective Laser Sintering) printed.